Rising Leaders Scholarship Program
The Rising Leaders Scholarship Program was founded in 2016 thanks to the vision of Brian Appel, JBBBSLA Board Member and former Board Chair. The program receives support from many generous individuals with the goal of ensuring long-term financial assistance to select motivated, current and former campers who want to pursue post-secondary education. Scholarship funds are to be used for tuition, books, school supplies, rent, transportation, and program fees. Many of our campers overcome tremendous obstacles simply to graduate from high school; therefore, attending a trade school, community college, four-year university, graduate school, or other institution of higher education is a significant achievement.
To be eligible for the Rising Leaders Scholarship Program a camper must have:
- Been a Counselor-in-Training (CIT) for two years or a CIT for one year and a Teen Camper for one summer session at Camp Bob Waldorf on the Max Straus Campus.
- Graduated, or be in the process of graduating, from an accredited high school or its equivalent.
- Decided to pursue post-secondary education through a trade school, community college, four-year university, graduate school, or other institution of higher education.
- Submitted transcript with GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Demonstrated a need for financial assistance in paying for his/her education.
- Demonstrated a commitment to community service through past volunteer experience.
Applicants must reapply annually to be considered.
The Application Process
The JBBBSLA Scholarship Committee is comprised of board members, the CEO, past scholarship recipients, and JBBBSLA staff members. Through an extensive application process and live interviews with our applicants, we hear stories that are heartfelt and inspirational while we learn about the background and aspirations of our campers.
Scholarships range from $500 to $2,000 and students can apply, if eligible, for their entire course of study while earning their degree.